Open Day 1999 (Friday 7 May 1999)
The day's theme was Rolls-Royce; the events ran as follows:
Informal visits to Coursework Modules undertaken by second-year students, with the possibility of seeing some of the research in progress.
Seminars describing research funded by Rolls-Royce, tea and the Maurice Lubbock Memorial Lecture:
- Professor Terry Jones : Heat transfer and aerodynamic studies at Osney
- Professor Carlos Ruiz : Containment of high-energy fragments in aeroengines
- Professor Lionel Tarassenko : The detection of abnormalities in jet engines
- Gordon Lewis (SOUE) : The early days
- 25th Maurice Lubbock Memorial Lecture
Mr Philip Ruffles (Director, Engineering and Technology, Rolls-Royce plc) : Advanced Power Systems
The day ended with a buffet supper, where there was an opportunity for members of the Society to meet current undergraduates.